For Christ was my Savior and Friend

The shadows fall, the night grows chill;
............I will not run away,
Here on the mount called Olivet, where
............Jesus knelt to pray.
I still can hear His footsteps, in the
............brush, beyond the gate.
Today, I vowed to die with Him, and
............now, it is too late.
For they have taken away my Savior and Friend;
............He died there on Calvary.
I put Him in the tomb where He lay,
............He did it all for me.

How I had wished to save His life,
............A sword flew to my hand
And struck the man who sought to take
............The Lord of every Land.
Yet even in His trials
............The God of peace spoke love.
He bade His angels stay their hands;
............They watched Him from above.
I followed Him then, my Savior and Friend;
............But denied Him, for I was afraid.
Twice more while I watched Him I faltered in faith
............Then fled, to be here, where He prayed.

The stone was rolled upon His tomb,
............Two guards were set in place
To wait outside the sepulchre,
............Of the Redeemer of our race.
Words cannot tell, the pain I felt,
............To flee the scene once more,
And then again, come here to pray,
............My Father to implore.
How could you take Him away – my Savior and Friend?
............When I’d given you all my life?
Now that I need Him most, He’s gone from my sight,
............And I’m all alone in the strife.

Will I ever see His face again?
............Or hear His tender plea
For winds and waves to cease, be still
............Out there in Galilee?
Or do I have to live my life
............And walk the path He trod
Teach all men of His promises,
............And say, “Behold your God!”
He died there today, my Savior and King,
............But His teachings I’ll always defend.
I will live out my life for a cause that is just,
............For Christ was my Savior and Friend.


We all have times when we cannot see the end. If we have faith and live our lives for the principles we know to be true, God will hear our prayers. He will make us the men and women we truly want to be.

No comments: